Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Drop Kick

When we first started running, some of us in the running club (Kenzi) were not extremely dedicated. She would say she was going to go running in the morning and would then completely cop-out and decide that sleep was more important than running 5 miles at 6:00 in the morning. Lame, I know.

Paige had kind of started doing this for about a week. Yeah, she had lame excuses like she had gone to bed at 3:30am and couldn't go, or had a term paper she had forgotten about. I mean, 2 hours of sleep=lame excuse. Wanting good grades in school= very lame excuse.

Anyway, I had to do something to keep Paige running and keep her motivated, . . . and then it dawned on me; threaten her, duh.

So, the texting/threatening began:

Paige: I don't think I can go running tonight
Joe: Just do it
Paige: I really can't, I have homework

(in comes the threat)

Joe: Ok, you're getting drop kicked
Paige: no!

A drop kick is a very not-so-subtle-karate-zilla-kungfuish-i-watched-too-much-dragonball-z-as-a-kid-move that I had practiced much of my childhood in front of the mirror in my room. Basically you throw the person on the ground and jump on them. It's great fun. And what greater way to make someone want to go running with you. Right? It works without fail . . . meaning that it doesn't really work at all really.

For example, one night, as Paige was ditching running club, Blessica (a sometimes member of the club) and I ran over to Paige's house and knocked on the door. She opened it, and looked slightly surprised as we ran in, threw her on the ground (ok, so she sat down on the ground before we even got to grab her) jumped on her, and then booked it out of there.

Needless to say, I don't think it really hurt her or even motivated her to go running. Partially because she was laughing the whole time, and partially because I have no idea how to really drop-kick someone. It's a good thing that Paige's roommates weren't there, they might have fought back . . . and Sasha knows oragami (that's some kind of karate thing right?)

I'll just have to think of a different way to motivate her. Or go practice in front of the mirror.

:)

2 comments:

janae said...

Maybe the drop-kick will work on my kids. Time outs work well for us. Maybe you can try to put Paige in time out if she won't go with you. :)

TexasTwinsTwice said...

DragonBall Z? hahahaha!! Love it.

And that reminds me of of a certain Dragonball Z fan I know...which is not a good thing. Just ask Paige. ;-)