Thursday, May 14, 2009

Must be the endorphins

Ever wonder how Joseph--an amazingly speedy & talented & very in-shape runner--tolerates running with a lazy, sauntering, not-so-in-shape runner like myself?

Aside from his unfailing patience, I'll tell you his secret: on any given workout he probably runs twice as far as I do. Now you may ask, how is that possible, given that we go running together? Observe this map of a typical run:

I am the red lines, Joseph is the green. NO joke he runs zig-zags and circles around me while I struggle for life just to make it through our workout.

It kinda reminds me of Billy from the Family Circus:

[side note: I'm guessing that was not the original caption to this picture but it was the best one I could find to illustrate my point]

Sometimes when he has way too much energy I'll just point out a sign 100 feet away and say "sprint to that and back!" to let him to burn some of it off. So if I run 4 miles, chances are Joseph ran 7 or 8. This is why Joseph is gonna be ready for our marathon and I am not. Impressive much? Yeah, that's Joseph for ya :)

5 comments:

Joe said...

haha! You crack me up Sage
:)

Nathan and Aubrey said...

I was so thinking Family Circus before I scrolled down and saw your comparison. That's funny!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Oh too funny! That yoseph (or whatever his name) must be pretty nice to do that for you. or pretty hyper. =)

TexasTwinsTwice said...

oops Rosef...I couldn't recall, and I didn't want to break your 'cover'. =)

janae said...

Okay, first, that was sooooo funny. I love that you made a little diagram. Hilarious.

Second, we all know that Joe 'tolerates' running with you because you're cute. He can't help himself. I'd bet $50 bucks that half of his energy comes from the inner-child show-off-for-girl thing coming out.

Third, crazy amounts of energy is a genetic Ricks thing. Have you ever met Kaye? She goes to bed at 11 pm, wakes up at 4 am, cleans the house, runs 6 miles, and then goes to work. You think I'm kidding. I'm not. :)