Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lexical Ambiguity

[the title of this post is a throw-back from my unfortunate & regretful expertise in linguistics]

I finally started running again--for reals--to get into shape for Ragnar this year. I was hanging out with Joseph and commenting that my legs were starting to get really hard... He thought I was talking about the difficulty of my legs for the race (I'm runner 12 this year) but I was actually talking about the fact that my legs are just physically more toned now.

Later that night we were running and I started complaining that one of my legs was 7.1 and the other was 7.9 ...and since my right leg is significantly shorter than my left (learned that through X-rays my sophomore year of HS) he thought I was being literal.

I was referring to my legs for Ragnar.

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

you just blew my mind with that first link. And now I can't concentrate on the rest of the post....

j@nAe said...

I'm glad to know you guys have such great communication. You know, that he understands you so well that he can practically read your mind. Oh. Wait...


:)

TexasTwinsTwice said...

I didn't click on the first link--but now I must after Aubrey's comment!! I can't believe you're going to do Ragnar yet again. Impressive!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

wow. now I'm feeling EXTRA lazy for hitting snooze on the alarm instead of getting on my treadmill this a.m. =(